Hello! This is the infamous travel blog for OWLs (Older Wiser Ladies) ages 40 to 80 plus.
We have traveled the planet in search of comfortable places to be beau-dacious!
Join our adventures!

25 May 2011

Emergency Articles

BTW, the emergency articles I chose to keep with me and not check with my small wheelie suitcase in case of the ash cloud disruptions consisted of a change of underwear (one to wear, one to wash), simple sleepwear, toiletries (under 100 ml), a change of clothes, vitamins or medicines, and ALL VALUABLES: your camera, iPOD, and chargers; jewelry, etc.. And of course your "primary" which should consist of your wallet with driver's license, medical card, credit card, bank card, and some currency; and your money belt with passport, extra currency, one extra credit card and extra bank card in case of the cards getting ruined in the ATM machines, lost or stolen. And keep this "primary" with you at all times while traveling place to place, and lock it up in the hotel safe, or hide it in your hotel room. The locks of most European hotel rooms are easily picked open. I once lost a camera in Amsterdam. I went out for dinner, leaving my camera in my hotel room, only to return and find it had disappeared. The lock had been picked. Luckily the camera was insured and I replaced it immediately.

I've heard many stories of professional pickpockets quickly fingering a wallet out of your purse or back pocket as quick as a wink. They usually work in pairs and tourists are easy targets. Also beware when getting onto and off trains or buses. A friend told me she allowed a stranger to help her with her bag while getting onto a train and he stole it instead. A helping hand might just help themselves to your belongings.

Yasou!

[Photo copyright by M. J. Milne 2011]

No comments:

Post a Comment